Friday, February 25, 2022

Great Mother Cardinal NFS


My Grandmother asked me to design her Christmas cards last year. I immediately thought of a sweet bird in a winter setting. My thoughts went to the female cardinal for their regal presence and beauty. I have not seen a cardinal in our yard in many years so I referenced photos I took in Wisconsin, the year before. To my delight, several weeks after finishing this painting, one lone female cardinal started to visit our feeder. She was beautiful and social. She would be the first one to sit at the empty feeder and look in the window to request more seed. We were buddies and she made me think of Grandmother. She stayed about a month before heading on, probably to find more cardinal friends but I think she will be back! 

Great Mother Cardinal is a brushed acrylic ink painting on 140 lb. hot press paper. The original hangs and my Grandmother's place - where she belongs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment