Saturday, September 27, 2014

Birch Tree Beehive [photo, watercolor and acrylic paintings]

When asked to paint a commissioned piece, I always think about the piece before I commit. I listen to what the piece is to represent and whether or not my style will work for the painting. When Loretta mentioned a beehive nestled in the birch trees at her cabin, I was immediately interested. I was so curious to see the beehive, she had described, that I arrived to take photos the next day.

Not only was the beehive great inspiration to paint, but the setting of Bill and Loretta's cabin was warm and welcoming. They invited me to sit, put a gin n tonic in my hand and told stories of cabin life, family and Minnesota. I was so taken with the stories that I nearly forgot to take photos while there was still light outside. At the end of my visit I was given a, fresh baked, bag of molasses cookies and sent on my way to paint.

I couldn't decide whether watercolor of acrylic would work best in their home and since I found the subject fun to paint…I painted one of each. The watercolor is 8" x 16" on 140 lb arches cold press paper. The acrylic piece is 8"x24" on stretched canvas. Now it's time to see if either of these is what they had in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment