Sunday, June 21, 2015

Fluid Motion

Fluid Motion is the result of visualizing an image and being in the right place at the right time. I have been wanting to paint a single rower for about a year now and the opportunity to take photos - for inspiration - arrived last month. The sport of rowing is such a graceful and all around athletic sport. I didn't realize exactly how important balance and timing were to the sport until I witnessed a beginner attempt the sport and then see the difference when an experienced rower took over. 

I first envisioned a graphite sketch but after sketching out the piece I decided a simple 2 tone ink piece would balance the flow of the water with the stability of the rower. The sketch took some time but the process of brushing on the ink was very fast. I started with the red layer and over painted with cool grey - leaving the white of the watercolor paper to represent the glimmer of light on water.  Something about acrylic ink on watercolor paper or hand made paper has a richness the appeals to me. 

Fluid Motion is a 12" square painting using FW ink and a touch of Chinese watercolor on 140 lb. watercolor paper. It is at the framer and will be available at Peculiar Painter in Walker, MN soon. | 218-547-3729

1 comment: