Wednesday, June 10, 2015

With the Wind *SOLD

I photographed this dancer at a pow-wow in 2007.  At only about 7 years old he already looked like he knew who he was. He had confidence and style about him. In the past I have sketched him dancing but decided this time to sketch his walk. I started out with just the boy walking and then added the path around him. I used very simple lines. 

As I thought about a title for the piece my friend Larry came to mind. Larry is a midwesterner with a farm in Iowa. When he's not covered in wood chips, charcoal soot, or dust from projects, he is dressed with style and confidence. Larry once told me that his name didn't suit him. I asked what name he would chose for himself - he said, "I don't know - I need to find out what the Lakota translation for With the Wind - would be" I have called him With the Wind since. I think With the Wind and this little dancer have a similar presence about them.

With the Wind is a 8" x 18" graphite sketch on 140 lb. paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment