Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Plum Blossoms *SOLD




Plum Blossoms is a new process for me - one that I am enjoying. Using a stretched canvas - with deep edge stretcher bars, I prepared the canvas with a watercolor ground which makes the canvas accept graphite, watercolor and ink. The new surface is smooth like an eggshell and very inviting to work with. I used a Daniel Smith watercolor ground.

The next step was sketching using a Caran d' Ache Technalo graphite pencil. My inspiration was a series of photos I took of plum blossoms from the spring bloom last year. We are almost to blossom time this year...but not quite. The graphite sitting on top of the smooth surface was a nice raw but elegant effect. I didn't want to overpower the sketch so I used a light Payne's Grey watercolor wash for the background and a touch of Red Earth brushed ink to finish the piece. The final layer is a UV matte finish to keep the piece clean.

Plum Blossoms is a 10"x30" graphite, brushed ink and watercolor piece on stretched canvas with a watercolor ground. It is available at Peculiar Painter in Walker, MN  | 218-547-3729

No comments:

Post a Comment