Friday, May 8, 2015

Hawthorn NFS

In a book titled_The Book of Herbal Wisdom_by Matthew Wood, I read about the Hawthorn tree. I was intrigued by Matthew's description. He says, "The Hawthorn (one of the darlings of the herbalists) represents the opportunity for experience. It is found any place where it is possible to prick one's finger and fall, pell-mell, headfirst into experience - that is to say, something beyond oneself."

How can you not be intrigues by the Hawthorn after a description like that?

Last week, I was out for a walk with my husband. When I asked him what the beautiful blooms were - I was excited to hear that they were Hawthorn blooms. The delicate blooms with their whimsical orange stamen - contrasting the long thorns - made for an excellent painting subject.

Originally I was going to paint the blooms against a subtle grey-ochre background but this piece called for brilliant greens, yellows and hints of cobalt green. More Hawthorn bloom paintings are sure to follow!

Hawthorn is a 40"x30" acrylic painting on stretched canvas with 1.5" thick stretcher bars and painted edges. It is available at Peculiar Painter in Walker, MN for $ 695.00 | 218-547-3729

No comments:

Post a Comment